Bringing Learning to Life!
School District 85 covers a total of 8,655 square miles of the northern end of Vancouver Island. An abundance of wildlife, including killer whales, bald eagles, Roosevelt elk, deer, black bear and Pacific salmon, can be viewed throughout the region. The panoramic beauty and vistas of snow- capped mountains, tree-bordered lakes and coastal waters is a photographers’ haven and a magnet for naturalists. Year round, moderate temperatures are normal for this large area of forests, towns, small villages, fish farms and logging camps. Forestry, commercial/sports fishing and tourism are the key industries on the North Island. In the midst of this natural beauty and resource-based activity is School District 85. The Vancouver Island North School District employs approximately 100 (FTE) teachers and administrators, and 130 support staff for approximately 1300 students in 10 schools. School District 85 is very proud of its excellent programs, capable students, competent personnel, supportive communities and Aboriginal history and culture. School District 85 services the communities of Port Hardy, Port McNeill, Fort Rupert, Coal Harbour, Port Alice, Sointula, Alert Bay, Woss Lake, Echo Bay, Quatsino and Holberg. Aboriginal culture has flourished on Vancouver Island North for thousands of years. The Kwak'wala speaking people exhibit their rich heritage and continue to maintain and develop their culture. Visible aspects of the communities’ cultural fabric include the impressive big houses, totem poles, petroglyphs and cultural events. The district’s resources include a library of Aboriginal materials and has published “Village Books” and “My Elders Tell Me” to assist students and school staff with the curriculum.
Our North Island communities support our schools in a variety of ways. The school events, fundraisers, and scholarships for graduating students all point to the phenomenal support our students and schools have from businesses, organizations, service groups, and individuals.
We welcome your involvement in our efforts.
Contact your neighbourhood school to see how you can become involved.
Attend our Public Board Meetings, become involved in district organizations that participate in community networks, and share your knowledge and expertise with us.
What we know...
- Transformative and inspired through passionate, purposeful and engaging instruction.
- A process that requires the active support of educators, families, communities and the learners themselves.
- Both an individual and group process that honours unique ways of knowing and learning.
- All students actively engaged in and enthusiastic about their learning through high quality instruction and programs.
- All staff and educational partners actively supporting student learning as the most important purpose of our collaborative work.
- A community of learners that identifies with the joy and reward of student achievement and development.
- All students having the opportunity to meet their educational goals and aspirations in programs offered directly or facilitated by School District No 85.
- Respect for learning paths directed by individual students and families.
- Nurturing healthy partnerships with post-secondary organizations, local business, industry, and not-for-profit organizations that enrich learning experiences and create opportunities.