Business Services Main Page
If you have any questions about Financial Services, please contact:
John Martin, Secretary - Treasurer,
Telephone: (250) 949-6618 Ext. 2222
Fax: (250) 949-8792
Email to: email@example.com
District Financial Accountability
School District Financial Reporting monitors school board accountability.
Goals and Objectives
- Ensuring the Board of Education meets its legislated and government policy-based financial responsibilities (e.g. submitting school district budget on time; submitting audited financial statements on time; proper adoption of bylaws)
- Ensuring school district budgetary information and financial information are available, comparable and audited
Major Program Activities
Communicating with the Ministry of Education regarding funding allocation
Coordinating, monitoring and analyzing budgets, financial statements and other financial reporting
Adhering to budgeting, accounting and reporting policies and instructions for school districts
Adhering to budgeting and accounting reference material
Ensuring budget decisions are made in public to enhance board of education accountability
Ensuring external auditors receive all materials require to conduct annual audits
Implementing Ministry of Education and external auditor financial accountability recommendations
Reporting on special purpose funds for other agencies
Supporting collection of federal revenues by reporting aboriginal student numbers
Reporting quarterly for inclusion in the Government Reporting Entity.
Reference and Resources
The Board of Education is responsible for:
1. Designing and constructing schools buildings to specified standards, including LEED Gold; and
2. Ensuring that school buildings and grounds are safe, secure and properly maintained; and
3. Operating and utilizing schools as efficiently as possible.
Each year the Board submits a five-year capital plan that includes details on school building projects it wishes to undertake. Each capital request is analyzed and assigned a priority ranking by the Ministry of Education. Based on detailed analysis of district submissions, government establishes an overall capital budget for schools. Resources are allocated to the highest-priority projects, and boards are advised which projects may proceed.
School bus replacement is also included in the capital plan.